The Philippine Tuberculosis Society, Inc. (PTSI) is the largest private NGO and longest serving medical institution engaged in the detection, control and treatment of tuberculosis in the Philippines.
The PTSI envisions to establish itself as the premier non-government organization that complements the government’s National TB Control Program. It is its mission to grow as a nationally-recognized tuberculosis resource center involved in tuberculosis research, training, clinical management, and innovative community-based approaches.
The PTSI is also the Official Representative of the Philippines in the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (IUATLD) and a founding member of the Philippine Coalition Against Tuberculosis (PhilCAT).
Established in 1938 as the hospital arm of the Philippine Tuberculosis Society Inc., the Quezon Institute (QI) adheres to its motto “Serbisyong Publiko, Serbisyong May Puso”. Quezon Institute serves under-privileged patients suffering from various forms of lung ailments, particularly tuberculosis. It is considered as one of the best TB laboratories in the country today.
The QI operates a Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Thoracic Surgery equipped with Bronchoscopy, Pulmonary Laboratory, Radiology, Medicine and Surgical Intensive Care Units. It maintains a Multi-Drug Resistant (MDR) TB wards and a “Teacher’s Pavilion”, reserved for educators and teachers with respiratory problems.
The QI Central Laboratory is equipped with a general and TB laboratory units to train TB laboratory workers, to initiate case finding activities and to serve as a validation center for the TB microscopy network. It also has Mobile X-Ray Units which are deployed for mass screeing in schools, factories and offices upon request.
Originally called the Philippine Anti-Tuberculosis Society, the PTSI was founded on July 29, 2010 by a group of Filipino and American residents, ante-dating both the Philippine Commonwealth (1935) and the Philippine Republic (1946).
The American Rule in the Philippines was confronted with rampant problems in public health. The most serious among these was the unchecked prevalence of Tuberculosis (TB). In a regional health meeting held in Manila in 1910, an alarming report that TB mortality in the Philippines was estimated at a huge 40,000.
After a meeting of concerned citizens and public officials, the Philippine Islands Anti-Tuberculosis Society was conceptualized and was approved August of 1910. Spearheaded by Mrs. Eleanor Franklin Egan (its first president) and Sixto delos Angeles, the Society responded to the serious public threat of tuberculosis that affected a significant number of Filipinos.
In 1934, the then Senate President Manuel L. Quezon recognized the severity of tuberculosis as a public health threat. He steered the passage of the Sweepstakes Law that allocated 25% of its proceeds to the Philippine Tuberculosis Society. Through this legislation, the Quezon Institute (QI), a tertiary hospital, was built.
In recognition of his support, the Santol Sanatorium (built 1918) was renamed Quezon Institute in 1938, and was inaugurated by the President Quezon himself. It operated under the prevailing notion that isolation, bed rest, fresh air and nutritious food would cure tuberculosis.
The Second World War abruptly curtailed further activities of the Society. Japanese Army troops occupied the Quezon Institute and ordered the transfer of its medical staff and all patients to the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Intramuros, Manila. The Quezon Institute and the Society’s central office in Manila was stripped bare of all equipment, furniture and records by looters.
After the government reestablishment in 1945, President Sergio Osmena pressed for a legislative appropriation of P1 million to re-activate anti-TB work, P800,000 of which was allotted as aid to the Society. The US Army returned together with army equipment and supplies for the Society, and the Quezon Institute was reopened. In 1957, Pres. Ramon Magsaysay increased the allotment of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes to the Society to P1 million annually.
The Society was subsequently incorporated as PTSI on February 29, 1960 and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 11, 1960, with the incumbent President Zeneida Quezon Avancena as one of the incorporators.